The Cadets' School complex

Detail of the Cadets' School wrought-iron overhang
Opposite the Public Offices in the western part of the Kremlin lies the complex of the former Cadets' School. Built in the 1840s, on the site of what was first a mosque and then the Trinity-Sergius Monastery, the building originally housed the barracks for soldiers' sons, which in 1861 were referred to as a military college and which became later in 1866 the Cadets' School.

The Cadets' School building is marked by clear, symmetrical planning, well-lit rooms with high ceilings which lead off a long and wide corridor, and a stern outer appearance so characteristic of late Russian classicism. A wrought-iron canopy decorates the main entrance to the building.