The Artillery Cannon Foundry

The main building of the Artillery Foundry
(the central part)
The southern building of the Artillery Foundry
Another remarkable architectural monument of a military character in the Kremlin is the Artillery Cannon Foundry, dating back to the end of the 17th century and built on the site of the former arsenal and the Khan's guard quarters. Single and two-storied buildings of which it was composed formed a large foundry yard, where throughout the 17th and 18th centuries heavy arms were manufactured, repaired and stored. The entry into the Cannon Foundry was through the passage tower in the centre of the main building; the South Building, along with the archaeological remains of workshops inside the existing main building, currently represent the earlier period of the Cannon Foundry's existence.

On the threshold of the 18th and 19th centuries the main building was refurbished according to the general plan of 1768 following the altered direction of the Kremlin's main street. However, the building retained its original composition with the passage gates; the two-storied towers were erected at its corners. The famed architect Betancourt who was responsible for designing the Riding-School near the Moscow Kremlin led the reconstruction of the Cannon Foundry.

At the beginning of the 19th century, the Kazan Kremlin's Cannon Foundry was one of the largest in Russia. In 1812, the new western wing adjoining the Kremlin wall was built. In 1815, a huge fire devastated the citadel and put an end to weapon production in the Kremlin. In 1825, the former arsenal and foundry buildings were turned over to the school for soldiers' sons and later, in 1866, to the Cadets' School.

The Northern building

The northern building of the Artillery Foundry
The Northern building of the Cannon Foundry appeared in the 17th century as a part of the Artillery, Cannon, Armory Foundry. The building looked like a usual industrial two-storied house.

In the 19th century its function changed. One more story was overbuilt as living quarters for officers. In the 20th century the fourth story was built, and different institutions were placed in the building.

In the end of 1990s the Northern building of the Artillery Cannon Foundry was under restoration, and since December 1999, it has become a temporary residence of the President of the Republic of Tatarstan.