Society > History > Historical Towns and Settlements. Historical Ensembles and Complexes > The Kazan Kremlin > The Artillery Cannon Foundry
The Artillery Cannon Foundry
|The main building of the Artillery Foundry|
(the central part)
|The southern building of the Artillery Foundry|
On the threshold of the 18th and 19th centuries the main building was refurbished according to the general plan of 1768 following the altered direction of the Kremlin's main street. However, the building retained its original composition with the passage gates; the two-storied towers were erected at its corners. The famed architect Betancourt who was responsible for designing the Riding-School near the Moscow Kremlin led the reconstruction of the Cannon Foundry.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the Kazan Kremlin's Cannon Foundry was one of the largest in Russia. In 1812, the new western wing adjoining the Kremlin wall was built. In 1815, a huge fire devastated the citadel and put an end to weapon production in the Kremlin. In 1825, the former arsenal and foundry buildings were turned over to the school for soldiers' sons and later, in 1866, to the Cadets' School.
The Northern building
|The northern building of the Artillery Foundry|
In the 19th century its function changed. One more story was overbuilt as living quarters for officers. In the 20th century the fourth story was built, and different institutions were placed in the building.
In the end of 1990s the Northern building of the Artillery Cannon Foundry was under restoration, and since December 1999, it has become a temporary residence of the President of the Republic of Tatarstan.